In March we noted that the following post would announce the winner of the Eco Choice Award from the IP Expo. Without further ado we would like to congratulate Sherwin-Williams! They are so dedicated to sustainability that they have instituted EcoVision, a company-wide commitment to develop and implement ways to reduce their impact on the environment through conservation, innovation, accountability, respect and responsibility. Here are a few specifics worthy of recognition.
- Most Comprehensive line of coatings that comply with LEED, CARD, OTC, SCAQMD, CHPS, NAHB, GGHC and other green guidelines and regulations.
- As a member of the Environmental Protection Agency's Climate Leaders Program, Sherwin-Williams has adopted a multi-site, corporate ISO 14001 certification program at major manufacturing and distribution sites to ensure they meet International Environmental Standards.
- Many Sherwin-Williams facilities are undergoing a lighting upgrade designed to reduce carbon emissions by over 14,000 tons per year.
- An EcoMet database at each of their major facilities tracks five major sustainability metrics- production, energy, natural resources, waste and recycling- and provides a clear and consistent process for measuring sustainable practices.
- For greater efficiency in plant operations, they're implementing manufacturing procedures that focus on waste reduction, recycling and zero discharge processes.
- Their new energy efficient manufacturing facilities include maintenance-free landscaping, UV reflecting glazing on windows, heat reflective roofing and maximized natural lighting.
- To reduce the carbon footprint of their vast fleet of trucks, they have experimented with biodiesel fuels and noise-reducing auxiliary power units. They have implemented sophisticated software that allows them to plan delivery routes for maximum efficiency.
- They are investing in research and development of advanced coatings that use sustainable raw materials such as soybeans and sunflower oils.
- They are increasing the use of sustainable plastic paint containers, recycled labels and biodegradable shopping bags.